Saturday, April 10, 2010

Before & After Landscape today!! Shade garden!!

LOML and I started our day very early! PROJECT: Shade Garden
BEFORE PHOTO
AFTER:  10 hours later!
FACTS: The shade garden is 50 feet long. We used one ton of Oklahoma chopped stone, 2 trailers of mulch, 15 hostas, 6 ferns, 3 japanese yew trees, 3 flats of liriope, 1 flat of impatients.  I added a few of my favorite concrete pieces I had collected from my friend Jo...  bird bath, doves, & a few angels. The plants are a bit sparse now but here in Texas with 75 degree days the ferns and hosta will grow rapidly, and come back year after year! Hostas are the best kept secret, very hardy, as well as ferns... if you have lots of shade and moist grounds these are the plants for you.  The next step is to pebble where the grass is .. then add flagstone for the walkway! Maybe in a few weeks.....  (if we recover from today!) hope you had a great day!! xxoox! Valarie

16 comments:

just a little bit shabby said...

Great job! looks wonderful!
Sandy

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

It looks great! I know it was hard work, tho. I am looking for some colorful plants that like shade, other than impatients. Got any ideas?
Great job!
Robin

Deb said...

looks great...

Lori said...

I bet your neighbors love you! You updated your space along with theirs.

Brenda Pruitt said...

Boy, you got a lot done! It is beautiful. I love shade gardens. The hostas and ferns are looking mighty good right now in mine! Looks fantastic!
Brenda

Stacey said...

Beautiful! You will enjoy that space more and more each day.

I agree with you about hostas. I just planted more of them last week.

Unknown said...

Great work!!! Love your cute angel.

Hugs
Charo

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

What a lovely transformation and such hard work! It looks great now and will be even better when it matures. Such a charming view!

shelia said...

Looks great! Did you remove the grass or dig it in? I always have so much trouble with the grass coming back in the beds and I'm not into weeding everyday!
Shelia

Tales from the Trails said...

WOW!! Looks great.

We planted some lavender this past weekend. 36 plants to be exact. I had one last year and it did so well in the heat and freeze. It's coming back so well.

Mindy said...

Wow! It looks great! Listen...where 2 or more bloggers gather, it's a party! Unfortunatley, I won't be at the open house. My high school reunion is that weekend. Y'all have fun! But, you be sure to come play dress up with us! ~Mindy

Denise Marie said...

gorgeous shade garden. I can't believe how much stuff went into it...sounds like some serious back muscle went in to it too. lol

Angie said...

It looks great! I have a shady area on the side of our house that I need to do something with. You have given me some inspiration!

GwendolynKay said...

I love, love your landscaping job. What a great before and after. I love hostas, they are such good growers.
Blessings!
Gwen

CIELO said...

I love your garden and enchanted green paths... thank you for participating in our "Show Off Your Cottage Monday".... would love to see you again; Happy day

cielo

Melanie@TheOldWhiteCottage said...

I love your shade garden! I have pretty big shade gardens of my own that have taken years of work so I know how much went into yours. Its really beautiful. I love your baby tub as well.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin